Edward Duncan Ernest Gould
October 28, 1988
March 25, 2012
Cause of Death:
Writer, artist, animator
Edward Duncan Ernest "Edd" Gould (28 October 1988 – 25 March 2012) was the creator, writer and animator of Eddsworld. He voiced the character Edd and various others in the series. He was 23 years old and was attending Animation Arts - UCA Maidstone.
On 25 March 2012, Gould passed away after a six-year-battle with leukaemia in 2006. Following his death, he was cremated, and his best friend Thomas Ridgewell was left in charge of Eddsworld. Ridgewell and Matt Hargreaves scattered some of Gould's ashes atop a mountain in Hollywood on 12 July 2012. The majority of his ashes were buried on his birthday (28 October) in London. After the burial, the location was made public so that anyone can visit.
Edd Gould was born on the 28th October 1988, in Isleworth, England. He began animating with Adobe Flash in about 2002. Over the course of Eddsworld, Edd created about 69 animations, 32 of which were considered "Eddisodes." He also created over 170 comics and various other art and games.
A real-life Gould appeared at the end of the short "Fan Service", letting EddHeads know that the next Eddisode would take a while to make because of his cancer treatment. He also announced that a number of Eddsworld T-Shirts were available at the SharkRobot store (thanks, Tom) and gave a preview of the next episode.
Six or eight years before his death, at approximately age fifteen-seventeen, Edd was diagnosed Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia. He beat the disease into remission at an unknown date, but returned eventually. The return was revealed on YouTube on 16 April 2011. At the time, it was generally accepted he had a 70% survival rate, which would have been ensured due to beating the disease before.
- Main article: Death of Edd Gould
On Sunday 25th March 2012, Edd Gould passed away after a six-year-battle with leukaemia. Two days later, on Tuesday 27th March, Tom Ridgewell and Matt Hargreaves announced Edd's passing on YouTube through the video RIP Edd Gould (1988-2012).
Eddsworld was spotlighted by YouTube on Friday 30th March 2012 and many users, including popular YouTube and Newgrounds animators, have voiced their condolences, with several fans choosing to remember Gould through their own artistic works, such as animations, claymations, and pictures.
Fellow animator and friend Tom Ridgewell has taken charge of Eddsworld, and an unfinised eddisode, Space Face (Part 1) made its debut at the London MCM Expo on 26th May 2012 (albeit in the form of script-reading), and was uploaded to YouTube one week later days later, 2nd of June 2012. Space Face (Part 2) was going to be a collaboration between a small selection of five or six animators, including: Chris O'Neill (OneyNG), Zach Hadel (psychicpebbles), Harry Partridge (HappyHarry), and Yotam Perel (LazyMuffin). Paul decided that it would take months to finish and he animated it on his own. It was released November 26th 2012
A share of Edd's ashes were given to Matt and Tom. Tom buried his on Edd's 24th birthday, however, Matt spread his share near the Hollywood Sign. [Tomska's Day Out 6].
Future of Eddsworld
Regarding the future of Eddsworld, Ridgewell left a message on the Eddsworld Facebook account:
- Edd's favourite music consisted of The Eels, Kitsune2, The Prodigy, Ken Aschorp, Tenacious D, Gorillaz, Anamanaguchi, 8-Bit Betty, The Adventures of Duane & Brando, Pomplamoose, Schmoyoho, Billy Reid, Rhett&Link, and JulianSmith.Template:Fact
- His PO Box was:Template:Fact
- Edd Gould
- Box 285
- 30 Red Lion Street
- TW9 1RB
- His favourite Eddisode was WTFuture.Template:Fact
- His final full animation was JukinoMoe, unless one considers the first part of Space Face a full Eddisode.
- He doesn't like dubstep.
- He has another channel called Eddomation.
- He was a big Evil Dead and Doctor Who fan, having referenced both multiple times in the Eddisodes.
- When Edd still animated Eddsworld, he created comics and animations in Adobe Flash CS3 Professional
- ↑ Twitter message: @thetomska: Matt and I scattered some...
- ↑ Twitter message: @thetomska: A few tweets to let you kn...
- ↑ Twitter message: @eddsworld: Edd's ashes are going to b...
- ↑ RIP Edd Gould (1988-2012) - YouTube
- ↑ Twitter / @egoraptor: Thanks for the laughs Edd. ...
- ↑ Twitter / @HappyHarryToons: My friend and fellow anima ...
- ↑ RIP Edd Gould 1988-2012 - Newgrounds blog post (HappyHarry)
- ↑ Twitter / @joethegran: Edd Gould has died. I can' ...
- ↑ Edd Gould, 1988-2012 - Newgrounds forum post (TomFulp)
- ↑ Twitter / @chluaid: R.I.P Edd :( ...
- ↑ RIP Edd Gould, 1988-2012 - The Explosm Fora
- ↑ So Long, Edd. - Newgrounds animation (KawaiiPiranha)
- ↑ Thank you Edd. - Newgrounds animation (CartoonWarStudios)
- ↑ Edd Gould Tribute [deadsworld sketch] - YouTube
- ↑ Forever Rememberedd - Newgrounds art (jameslee03)
- ↑ Vokle | TomSka is alright
- ↑ Twitter message: Twitter / @thetomska: Putting together a video f ...
- ↑ YouTube video: Future Bing - Edd's Funeral 2012.04.10
- ↑ Facebook update: Hey Eddheads. My... | Facebook